Saturday, 7 December 2019

Hope this will help me through

Presenting

Going to be honest, I've never been good at presenting in front of an audience, usually means I'm looking at people and they're looking at me (eek!).

Yes, that's the little ol'me and how I feel inside xD fluffy cloud :3?

Techniques

I have learnt various coping mechanisms to help me through fortunately. With thanks to the guidance of the more experienced -family and lecturers- who have explained things like;

  1. "Slicing the salami" one part at a time. In a panic I'd try to say the entire presentation in one breath. Imagine how this can make no sense!
  2.  "Breathing" calm breaths. It's one of those things when your voice either wavers or stutters because there's just no air to help it travel.
  3. "Relax" it can be stressful both mentally and physically. It's not fun to faint or pass out in the middle of the presentation, plus, there's probably a safety risk of where you're landing!


Processes

Part of making the presentation and presenting is the pacing and flow. I used to make arrow diagrams to visually direct where the context in going to: From A to B to C.
Found this far too linear and sometimes presentations aren't linear: either going over time or not reaching the time.

Currently...
♥ Flow Charts ♥
I've used this method once before and it helped me during a previous presentation in Induction Week (retake year).

Presentation

It's normal to have fears about presentations or anxiety. I used to think I was like the rest but now I've come realise -it might be Heart Arrhythmia.
Data collected from my watch(heart rate monitor)



It's a relief to know that;

  1. The 'about to faint' was because of irregular heartbeats. 
  2. The feeling of "my heart beating out of my chest" wasn't anxiety (it becomes this :s).
I suppose this is why I enjoy presenting closer to the start, preferring to get the presentation completed as soon as possible - it just gets worse the further into the presentations.

The Presentation


From left to right; Sketches by concept artist. White border by finishing artist. black borders by me

Second to last to present.
 Not the worst thing that's happened because I made it a challenge once before to try overcome presenting last. Corporate Sim anyone?



Constructive Feedback.


From left to right; Strength, High Priestess, The Star, The Tower, Chariot
Empress, The Fool, The Lovers, Heirophant.
  1. (As a speaker) Not very articulated and wasn't projecting voice. 
  2. (During) Turning my head around a lot when looking on the screen and back to the audience.
  3. (After) Distracting with writing a few of our sales day results. 
Teamwork makes the dream work!


All things considered:
♥ I know myself better and what I can do ♥


I will be able to rise to occasion again with the new challenges. From all the various presentations as a solo or co-speaker.

Stay strong and Power on! (hope this gives you strength to overcome your challenges too) 

No comments:

Post a Comment